SRINAGAR, Aug 17: The National Conference on Monday dismissed the BJP’s protest in Jammu over unemployment and development issues as “drama”, challenging the party to first restore Jammu and Kashmir’s statehood before questioning the performance of the elected government.
NC chief spokesperson and MLA Tanvir Sadiq said the BJP had every democratic right to stage protests but should first honour its “long-pending” commitment to restore statehood to Jammu and Kashmir.
“Give us statehood and then see the results,” Sadiq told reporters in Srinagar.
He questioned the BJP over its commitments made after the abrogation of Article 370, saying the party had promised to restore statehood after delimitation and Assembly elections but had yet to fulfil the assurance.
Sadiq accused the BJP of having “defeated the people of Jammu and Kashmir” and alleged that the region had been weakened by its reorganisation as a Union Territory and its division into two separate entities.
He also claimed that several important matters concerning the functioning of the elected government were still pending with the Centre.
“Our files are still pending. We still do not have an Advocate General. The reservation file is still with the Ministry of Home Affairs. Why are they not returning these matters? Why are they not allowing an elected government to function?” he asked.
Sadiq alleged that the BJP was creating unnecessary obstacles for the elected administration and said people of Jammu and Kashmir were aware of the circumstances behind the present situation.
He further alleged that the BJP and PDP had caused “unprecedented” damage to Jammu and Kashmir.
The remarks came hours after hundreds of BJP workers staged a protest in Jammu, accusing the National Conference-led government of failing to fulfil election promises and address unemployment, development and basic civic issues.